Try this delicious take on our classic Filipino sour soup! Sinigang na Inihaw na Liempo, made with grilled pork belly, vegetables, and tamarind broth is a delicious medley of smoky and tangy flavors. Serve with steamed rice or enjoy on its own for the perfect cold day comfort food.
Grilling the pork belly first before finishing it off in the usual sinigang fixings is an easy way to level up this otherwise everyday dish. The meat’s smoky flavor and the tamarind’s sour notes marry into a delectable medley that’s sure to hit the spot!
- Pork– the best cut to use is the belly which grills easier and quicker and has a good mix of fat and meat for flavor
- Tomatoes– I like to use the Roma variety as I find them juicier and sweeter
- Vegetables– the recipe includes the usual sinigang fixings such as bok choy, yard beans, okra, radish, and eggplant, but feel free to use other leafy greens such as kangkong (water spinach) or mustard leaves.
- Gabi– also called taro; adds texture and helps thickens the broth
- Tamarind– you can use fresh pods, powder base, or paste
- Finger chili peppers– siling haba or pangsigang is optional, but recommended if you want to add a mild heat
How to serve and store
- Sinigang na inihaw na liempo is delicious on its own or with steamed rice. Serve it with spiced fish sauce for dipping to kick the umami taste.
- Transfer leftovers to a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in a saucepot to an internal temperature of 165 F or in the microwave at 2 to 3-minute intervals until completely warmed through, stirring well after each interval to distribute heat.
- 2 pounds pork belly, sliced into 1/2-thick strips
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups water
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 large tomatoes, quartered
- 4 pieces gabi, peeled and halved
- 1 (6-inch) radish, peeled and sliced to ½-inch thick half-rounds
- ½ bunch long beans, ends trimmed and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 eggplant, ends trimmed and sliced to ½-inch thick half-rounds
- 6 pieces okra, ends trimmed
- 2 banana or finger chilies